So, you want to compete in the The Nutcase Intercontinental Single Speed Cyclocross Championships of the Universe. Here is a free way to convert your bike to a single speed in less than 10 minutes.
- Shift into the largest cog and undo the derailleur cable. The derailleur shouldn’t move too much.
- Cut the end off the cable, shift into the smallest cog so you can pull the cable out.
- Re-thread the cable starting at the cable stop on the down tube.
- Re-attach cable and cut to length.
- Adjust barrel adjuster until in correct gear. Should have 2 or 3 gears worth of shifting.
- Undo derailleur cable and tape to seat tube.
- Tighten or remove bolt so it doesn’t get lost.